History

 

1872 brought the railroad to Random Lake and many businesses to follow. The location of a railroad station was the signal for the formation of the village. The first building was the depot, which was shortly followed by a post office, union house and a house for the station agent. Thereafter the village got a public school, lumberyard, one saloon, a livery stable, wagon shop and two blacksmith shops. Three grain warehouses and five ice houses rounded out the trade business of the village.
 
In 1890, Matthew B. Heinen built and opened the Heinen Hotel and Saloon. The livery stable was also on the grounds. Salesmen would come to Random Lake on the train and rent a buggy to sell their wares to the local farmers and businesses. The village constable resided at the hotel and there is even a story of a prisoner breakout tying sheets together!
Thoughout the years there have been a number of different names and owners including: Edlee’s Inn, Bauers Towne House, The Random House, Company F, Scholz’s on Second.

In October of 1997 we opened The Homefront Restaurant & Bar with support of family and friends and are enjoying all of our new friends.
Proprietors,

Steve and Bev Hagel

 

Comments